NHK World is the international broadcasting service of NHK (Nippon Hōsō Kyōkai - Japan Broadcasting Corporation), Japan's public broadcaster. The service is aimed at the overseas market, similar to BBC World News, DW-TV, and France 24, and broadcast through satellite and cable operators throughout the world.
NHK World provides three services: NHK World Radio Japan, NHK World TV, and NHK World Premium. NHK World also makes most of its programming available through an online version of the television channel.
Television Japan Edit
NHK World Television Edit
NHK Asia TV started broadcasting in 1995 as a service for Japanese expatriates in Asia. On April 1, 1998, NHK Asia TV was re-branded as NHK World Television to reflect its status as a global broadcaster following its expansion outside Asia. NHK's news and information channel broadcasts internationally via satellite and cable TV. Programming is broadcast in English. It began as a news channel in February 2009 using the traditional NHK World logo in their own digital on-screen graphic (DOG). Previously, NHK World TV used the traditional "3 Eggs" logo of NHK. The NHK World DOG in the news program, Newsline, is on the bottom left corner of the television screen. In other programming, the DOG is moved to the top left corner of the television screen. Some of the shows are produced by production studio JIB TV which is 60% owned by NHK with the remaining 40% owned by private investors like Microsoft and Japanese bank Mizuho Financial Group. The NHK World DOG is not used at all when shows produced by JIB TV are aired.
NHK World Premium Edit
NHK World Premium Television broadcasts a mixture of news, sports and entertainment in Japanese worldwide via satellite as a subscription service. In Europe this service is broadcast under the name JSTV and in the USA it is known as TV Japan. The programs generally don't carry English subtitles.
Radio Japan Edit
NHK World Radio Japan (RJ) broadcasts news, information, and entertainment programs focusing on Japan and Asia, for a daily total of 65 hours of broadcasts. Radio Japan provides two services:
- General Service broadcasts worldwide in Japanese and English
- Regional Service broadcasts to specific geographical zones in 17 languages: English, Arabic, Bengali, Burmese, Chinese, French, Hindi, Indonesian, Korean, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Thai, Urdu, and Vietnamese
RJ Shortwave Relay Stations Edit
RJ runs a domestic shortwave relay station
RJ also leases or owns several external relay stations
- United Kingdom - BBC
- Ascension Island - BBC relay station
- Sri Lanka
- Singapore - BBC relay station
- Canada - Radio Canada International
- Bonaire Island - Radio Netherlands
- French Guiana - Radio France Internationale
Internet service Edit
NHK World programs and contents are available online:
- NHK World - Online news and live HQ stream of NHK World TV
- Radio Japan . live streams, podcasts and archive programming
- Japanese Lessons - Re-edited versions of Basic Japanese for You and Brush Up Your Japanese.
Please note that only a limited number of programs are available online for free.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|